Make a mouth-watering Moroccan meal at home! One of the most common reviews we get when we speak to Thomson Family Adventure guests is about how incredible the food is! Whether you’re just starting your planning process or have already returned home from your trip, it is never a bad time to make an unbelievable meal that will make you feel like you’re overlooking the High Atlas Mountains.
Roasted cauliflower tagine
Tagine is a traditional Moroccan food that dates back to the 8th century. It is a staple for many Moroccan people and for visitors of Morocco. It is traditionally cooked in a clay pot also named a tagine, but we know that most likely you do not have a tagine laying around the house. You can make this meal with things you already have in your kitchen!
- 1 cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout (or harissa seasoning). You could also use a curry powder if you’re unable to get your hands on the other seasonings.
- 1 carrot, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 red onions, thickly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 ½ cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup pitted green olives, halved
- 1 cup wholewheat couscous
- ½ vegetable stock cube, made up to 250ml
- ½ cup fat-free yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss cauliflower in ½ tbsp. olive oil and ½ tbsp. ras el hanout on a baking tray and cook for 20-25 minutes until tender and golden.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ras el hanout and cook for one more minute. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, and a cup of boiling water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through and the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cauliflower.
- Put the couscous in a heatproof bowl, pour over the stock, cover and set aside for 5 minutes, then fluff up with a fork.
- For serving, put yogurt and parsley on top and enjoy!