Malva Pudding is a popular South African sweet, flavored with apricot jam and served warm. The spongy inside is soaked in warm butter, caramelized and coated in a sugary vanilla sauce. Delish!
If you’re thinking about a trip to South Africa, try pudding this on the dinner table and see what your family thinks.
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup fresh cream (200 ml)
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) butter
- 3 ounces brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an oven dish.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until it’s thick and lemon colored. Then, add the apricot jam and mix. Melt and add the butter and vinegar to the mixture.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Add this mixture with the milk to the egg mixture in the mixing bowl. Beat well.
- Pour into a greased oven-proof dish and bake until your pudding is brown and well-risen. Depending on your oven, this will be done in 30-45 minutes.
- In a pot, mix all of the ingredients for the sauce – cream, butter, sugar, hot water and vanilla essence – and stir well.
- Pour this mixture over the pudding as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let it stand for a little bit, but make sure to serve it hot!