International travel requires a valid passport and U.S. citizens may also need to obtain a visa for certain countries.


Certain destinations require U.S. citizens to obtain a visa prior to entry. If you are traveling to Tanzania you will need a visa. Visas generally are valid for only 90 days from when they are issued. We recommend Passport Visa Express, a third party travel document company. Use this link and enter your zip code to bring you to the location for your consulate.

Passport Visa Express


Passports should be valid with at least 6 months validity after the end of your trip. If you need to have it renewed please allow sufficient time. U.S. citizens may refer to or the applicable foreign consulate for further details if you need more information.

Your passport number and issuing information can be found in your passport






Traveling and Lost Your Passport?

An emergency travel document (passport) can only be issued by the U.S. Consulate office.

Call the State Department Office of Consular Affairs to schedule an expedited appointment for new passport (1-877-487-2778).

How to Locate Consulate for Emergency Travel Documents

Call American Citizen’s Services (after hours) 1-202-647-4000, dial 4 for a live person; 1-202-501-4444 during business hours.

Locate Embassy